Monday, October 6, 2014

Notre Dame and Free walking tour

I got up early to try to beat the line for the towers at Notre Dame but the lines were down the block 30 minutes before opening.  Not really willing to stand in line for more than an hour so I'll try again.  I did just walk in as there wasn't a line for that. I also walked around the place and toured the underground archeological site.  I was way more impressed with the exterior with it's gothic flying buttresses and gargoyles than with the interior.  After Italy's art filled cathedrals, everything else really does suffer in comparison.

 
I also took the free walking tour which lasted about 4 hours and almost killed me.  My feet went on strike after that but I feel a lot more oriented in the city and I learned some interesting facts.  Our guide took great relish in describing the gruesome deaths of several Parisian historical figures which made it all worthwhile.  He also gave some great tips on avoiding lines in places like the Louvre.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment